Chili Dip has been a family favorite for over 30 years. The recipe originated from the instruction manual for an electric skillet my parents received as a wedding gift. I remember it being the main event at many birthday parties and family events.
As I started my own family, I made sure it was a regular feature of our special occasions. And at our house, two of the most special occasions are Christmas & the Super Bowl. So you can be sure Chili Dip will be on our menu every Christmas Eve as gather to watch our traditional movie, Elf. And you can also be sure we’ll be snacking away at it this weekend for the Super Bowl.
One of my favorite aspects of this dip is that it is entirely made in a skillet so, other than rinsing cans to be recycled, there is little mess left behind. This is something I definitely take into consideration when I’m hosting!
You definitely don’t need to have an electric skillet to make this dip. I use this skillet that was a gift from my sister that I use almost daily!! I think you could probably make this transfer it to a slow cooker before you put the cheese on to keep in warm. I haven’t tried it but might next time I make it!
- 1 lb ground turkey or beef
- 1 medium onion
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 1/2 Tbsp cumin
- 1/2 Tbsp garlic powder
- 32 oz. refried beans
- 15 oz black beans, drained & rinsed
- 15 oz diced tomatoes & green chiles
- 8 oz tomato sauce
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- Sliced black olives, optional
- Sliced green onions, optional
- Brown ground meat. Add onion and cook until translucent.
- Add chili powder, cumin & garlic and stir until combined.
- Add refried beans, black beans, tomatoes & green chiles and tomato sauce to meat mixture. Stir until combined.
- Lower heat and simmer 10-15 minutes.
- Add cheese and leave on low heat until cheese has melted. If desired, add olives and/or green onions.
- Serve warm with chips. I suggest wavy potato chips, tortilla chips or corn chips, preferably Fritos Scoops!